Experienced Kansas City Construction Law Firm
Call Our Team Today

Options for Kansas workers after a rights violation at work

If an employee or job applicant believes that his or her civil rights were violated, that employee or applicant may have recourse. The first step in the process is to determine if a protected right was violated. If an individual is confident that an employer has done something wrong, it may be worthwhile to engage in informal negotiations with the employer.

The negotiation process generally involves a meeting between the worker, a representative of the employer and attorneys for both sides. In the event that an agreement is worked out, the victim may sign a document acknowledging that the situation has been resolved. The victim then forfeits any right to sue in the future. However, if such negotiations do not result in an agreement, it may be necessary to file a claim. Filing such an action may be necessary before filing a private lawsuit.

A case may be filed in state or federal court, depending on the type of complaint being made. Typically, the government agency handling the case will determine where it is heard. When an individual files a private complaint, it may be possible to choose whether to file the case in state court or in federal court.

Those who wish to take legal action against an employer may wish to do so with the help of an employment law attorney. An attorney may be able to help an individual settle labor issues during informal mediation sessions or through a formal court process. It may be possible for the victim of a violation to win compensation for back pay and punitive damages. In addition, a worker who is wrongfully terminated may win his or her job back.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our condo association was faced with monumental construction issues thanks to the original developer of our complex. We were cash poor and in no position to get legal representation without a contingency fee arrangement. Luckily for us, Scott Long and Burke Robinson were willing to take us on as clients. Their work ethic, professionalism and knowledge of condominium construction served our association very well. Any association would be well served in hiring these gentlemen to represent them.

Board of Directors - Plaza Gardens on the Lake Condominium Owners’ Association Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Read More Testimonials

Let Us Help You

Contact our Kansas City Construction Law Firm by calling 1-800-523-5786 or by completing this contact form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy