Companies in the construction industry rely on Burke Robinson to provide effective, efficient legal representation. Burke applies more than 15 years of focused industry experience to advocate for commercial contractors, commercial suppliers, condominium homeowners’ associations, property managers, developers, owners, sureties and commercial real estate brokers.
Litigation. Burke handles all types of disputes for construction clients, including construction defect, payment/delay claims and insurance coverage disputes, frequently navigating 10 to 20 parties. Throughout his career, he has successfully litigated numerous multimillion-dollar claims through arbitration and before state and federal courts.
He has foreclosed on millions of dollars worth of mechanics liens on commercial and pipeline properties. Since 2009, Burke has served as local counsel for the states of Missouri and Kansas through National Lien and Bond, prosecuting liens for commercial contractors throughout both states.
Burke has pursued multiple contractor bid protests at the city, county and state levels. He has successfully represented contractors in withdrawal liability claims against local union pension funds and defended against multiple National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) claims.
Transactional Services. Burke also drafts and negotiates contracts for general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. These clients benefit from his litigation background; he applies his courtroom experience to craft terms that will avoid or withstand conflict.
Project Management. For developer clients, Burke coordinates all aspects of commercial projects from start to finish, including drafting, administering and enforcing contracts for construction and design, managing risk through monitoring construction progress, preparing and processing pay applications, and handling lien waivers.
As a co-founder of Long & Robinson, Burke takes pride in offering a one-stop shop for the construction industry’s legal needs – and in providing practical representation for practical clients. Burke is adept at applying alternatives to the traditional billable hour model, such as contingency and hybrid fees, and the firm’s ability to handle most aspects of litigation in-house saves clients time, money and significant hassle.
He frequently speaks at continuing education seminars for engineers, architects and contractors, sharing knowledge on construction contracting, risk management, mechanics liens, alternative dispute resolution and more.
Burke takes pleasure in an active lifestyle. He is an avid fly fisherman and enjoys international traveling and snow skiing.
Lee Builders, Inc. v Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co., 281 Kan. 844, 137 P.3d 486 (2006).
Carlton v B.G. Consultants, Inc., 183 P.3d 860 (Kan.App. May 23, 2008)(Table, text in WESTLAW, NO. 98,022), unpublished, review denied (Nov 04, 2008).
Areas Of Practice
- Construction Litigation: Business
- Real Estate: Business
- Commercial Litigation
- Kansas, 2003
- Missouri, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2003
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2003
- Colorado, 2015
- Lee Builders, Inc. v. Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co., 21 Kan. 844, 137 P3d 486, 2006, Kan.
- Carlton v. B.G. Consultants, Inc., 183 P.3d 860, 2008, Kan
- Construction Law for Kansas Engineers and Architects, 2007
- Kansas Seminar on Legal Issues for Professional Engineers, 2008
- American Society of Professional Estimators
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D. - 2003
- University of Missouri-KC
- M.B.A. - 2003
- University of Missouri at Columbia , Columbia, Missouri
- B.S. - 2000
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Finance and Economics
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star
- Missouri and Kansas' Outstanding Young Lawyers
- Super Lawyers, 2015 - Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, 2015 - Present
- Top Attorneys in Missouri and Kansas
- America's Most Honored Professionals Top 1%
- Martindale-Hubbell Platinum Client Champion, 2018 - Present
- Best Lawyers, 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fellow of the CLSA (Construction Law Society of America)
- Diversity Law Institute, Member
- Trial Law Institute, Member
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry, Member
- Associated Builders and Contractors
1800 Baltimore Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64108
Our condo association was faced with monumental construction issues thanks to the original developer of our complex. We were cash poor and in no position to get legal representation without a contingency fee arrangement. Luckily for us, Scott Long and Burke Robinson were willing to take us on as clients. Their work ethic, professionalism and knowledge of condominium construction served our association very well. Any association would be well served in hiring these gentlemen to represent them.
Board of Directors - Plaza Gardens on the Lake Condominium Owners’ Association Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Read More Testimonials
Let Us Help You
Contact our Kansas City Construction Law Firm by calling 1-800-523-5786 or by completing this contact form.