Experienced Kansas City Construction Law Firm
Scott C. Long
- Construction Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Condominium Law
General contractors, subcontractors and other members of the construction trade rely on Scott Long to resolve conflicts and keep projects going. Scott applies nearly three decades of experience in construction law to provide practical counsel grounded in knowledge of the industry.
Scott understands that dispute resolution in construction often requires preserving a working relationship so the project can stay on track – or so the parties can work together in the future. He works to solve problems outside the courtroom when possible. In one recent matter, he helped a contractor whose project was delayed by the coronavirus negotiate revised terms with the owner.
When litigation is unavoidable, clients benefit from Scott’s extensive experience trying and arbitrating cases and arguing appeals. He has tried more than 50 cases to verdict on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts. He has litigated a wide variety of commercial cost recovery, bonding, construction, real estate and business dispute cases.
Scott also works to protect the interests of homeowners’ associations. Working on behalf of condominium homeowners’ associations, Scott has recovered millions of dollars needed to repair construction defects.
Scott is adept at interpreting AIA and AGC contract boilerplates, negotiating their terms, and helping clients avoid potential pitfalls within them. A Fellow in the Construction Lawyers Society of America, he frequently speaks on legal topics affecting the industry.
He has been recognized by the Kansas City Business Journal’s “Best of the Bar,” Super Lawyers, and Best Lawyers in America, among others.
Scott is a proud father of three children. He enjoys running and adventure travel. He spends as much time as he can in the mountains of Colorado.
- Kansas, 1991
- Missouri, 1991
- Oklahoma, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1991
- Colorado, 2010
- University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas
- J.D. - 1991
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- B.S. - 1988
- Honors: With Highest Distinction
- Major: Journalism
- Carlson v. K-Mart Corp., 979 S.W.2d 145 (Mo.App.W.D. 2006)
- Bowles v. Weld Tire & Wheel, Inc., 41 S.W.3d 18 (Mo.App.W.D. 2001)
- Biritz v. Williams, 262 Kan. 769 (1997)
- Hartford v. Tanner, 22 Kan.App.2d 64 (1996)
- Wellcraft Marine v. Lyell, 960 S.W.2d 542 (Mo.App.W.D. 1998)
- Northwest Arkansas Masonry, Inc. v. Summit Specialty Products, Inc., 29 Kan.App.2d 735 (2001)
- Kansas State Bd. of Educ. v. Marsh, 274 Kan. 245 (2002)
- Smith v. Martens, 279 Kan. 242 (2005)
- Brooke Drywall of Columbia, Inc. v. Building Construction Enterprises, Inc., 361 S.W.3d 22 (Mo.App.W.D. 2012)
- Village at Deer Creek Homeowners Ass'n, Inc. v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., 2014 WL 1303412
- Fellow of the CLSA (Construction Law Society of America)
- Barrister, Order of Maximus, Member
- Diversity Law Institute and Member, Trial Law Institute
- Selected as a Super Lawyer